Colour and Textures in Jewellery
|INSIDE:||750 colour photos|
Decorative textures and colour are integral to the design of every piece of jewellery. This beautiful book covers a range of techniques and materials, which can be used to bring excitement, meaning and interest to your designs. Written by two experienced designer-makers and tutors, it encourages you to experiment, make samples, bend the rules (safely) and see what results are possible, before following the detailed technical advice to apply the techniques to your work.
- Embossing - techniques include hammering, stamping and roll printing to imprint a pattern, design and details onto the surface of the work
- Removing metal - explains how to create texture or pattern by removing selected areas from the surface of a piece of metal: techniques include engraving and etching
- Heat application - techniques include reticulation, granulation and casting
- Colour - techniques that involve incorporating different coloured metals in a piece of jewellery, such as combining metals, chemical colouring and enamelling
- Further ideas and techniques cover the use of mixed media - resin, wood, glass, anodised aluminium and gemstones
- Exercises demonstrate a technique and experiment with the process, including design development sketches and examples of samples and finished pieces
Site Price: £22.00E-Book Edition: £20.00 (incl. VAT)
" This book is not a step-by-step to make a piece that has already been designed but a good introduction to a lot of processes used in contemporary jewellery today, giving inspiration and technical instruction to combine materials and techniques to produce individual pieces of work. "
Review Type: Press
Reviewed By: Findings - Magazine of Association of Contemporary Jewellery
" The collaboration between two professional designer makers and teachers of jewellery is self-explanatory - an exploration of how colour and texture can be harnessed to bring ideas to life and add beauty. Tapping into the myriad of techniques and methods, the authors share their wisdom and experience in an extremely accessible way, whether you're a practicing jeweller, a student or a member of a retail sales team who'd love some in-depth knowledge. "
Review Type: Press
Reviewed By: The Jeweller magazine - National Association of Jewellers