Great Western Railway Pannier Tanks
|INSIDE:||261 colour and black & white photos|
The name 'Great Western Railway' immediately conjures up images of Stars, Castles and Kings, the legendary express passenger locomotives that were the envy of the world in their day. However, the Swindon empire also produced extensive fleets of all-purpose tank engines - everyday reliable workhorses and unsung heroes - which were also standout classics in their own right. The most distinctive and immediately recognizable type in terms of shape, all but unique to the GWR, was the six-coupled pannier tank.
With hundreds of photographs throughout, Great Western Railway Pannier Tanks covers:
- The supremely innovative pannier tank designs of GWR chief mechanical engineer Charles Benjamin Collett
- The appearance of the 5700 class in 1929
- The 5400, 6400, 7400 and 9400 classes
- The demise of the panniers in British Railways service and the 5700s that marked the end of Western Region steam
- A second life beneath the streets - 5700 class panniers on London Underground
- Panniers in preservation, plus cinema and TV roles and even a Royal Train duty
Site Price: £20.00E-Book Edition: £20.00 (incl. VAT)
" I got this today for Christmas from my Aunt *thankfully most Great Britain steam locomotive books are available via Amazon.com* I gave it a read & I LOVE it, all fans of the GWR/BR (W) should definitely give this a read, Thomas & Friends fans will love it too because a certain Sudrian character is mentioned in it too. 48 out of 10, it's that good. "
Review Type: Customer
Posted By: Nick Nash
" Every Great Western Railway enthusiast and historian should have a copy of this excellent publication. "
Review Type: Press
Reviewed By: Great Western Society